Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

If the first day of 2008 is any indication, I think it will be a happy new year. I enjoyed several happy moments today, all of which reminded me what a blessing it is to be starting another year here on Ocracoke.

First, I walked through Springer's Point and watched the sunset. This is always a highlight of any day on which I get to do it. I also saw my friend Mary in the preserve and spoke to her for a few minutes. Sharing good stuff with friends makes it even better! Then, while walking around Loop Road, I saw three kids I know (one, Mackenzie, is in the first grade class that I read to on Thursdays). What was fun about this is that I walked with Mackenzie and Sydney for several minutes, watching 'Kenzie learn how to balance on her rollerskates and Sydney enjoy riding her friend's scooter ('Kenzie let her use it). They both chattered about school, friends, and other topics, and I enjoyed being with them. Keeps me young at heart! The funny thing is I was actually trying to take a "brisk" walk to get a little exercise, but kept stopping or slowing down to chat with friends old and young. Just one of the realities of living here...one may not be able to do things as fast as they think they wanted to. Slowing down is probably a good thing, though.

My final enjoyable moment was when I ran to the Variety Store to get cat food. We feed 5 cats that we know of; there are others in the neighborhood who may enjoy the goodies we put out as well. I'm quite sure the local squirrels also eat from the bowl, and I know that a handful of ducks do so, although infrequently. Anyway, none of the above furry and feathered friends were going to get anything to munch tomorrow morning unless more cat food suddenly appeared on my doorstep. Since that was unlikely, I thought I should try to purchase some. But I wasn't sure whether the Variety Store was open today. I went over there to check, leaving home a few minutes before 7 PM. As I pulled in to the parking lot at 6:59, I discovered they had been open, and were closing at 7. I hurried inside and snagged the cat food. I was the last customer, and they locked the door and left right behind me. Why was this enjoyable? Well, not only because in other towns I'm sure I would have been turned away (by the time I got to the door, the "Open" sign had been turned off), but also because they not only let me buy my cat food, they also chatted with me for a few minutes rather than rushing me off. I appreciated that small courtesy. I appreciate many of the small things like that, which make life here wonderful.

In case you wanted to see one of the light angels which decorate the village for the Christmas season, I decided to snap a picture before the Fire Department takes them down for the year. Here it is for your enjoyment!



Wishing you a wonderful, wonder-filled 2008!

No comments: