Thursday, January 10, 2008

Salt water and bliss

It has been several days since I have been anywhere near salt water, and I have missed it. Today, that unfortunate circumstance was rectified: we drove to a small town called Meridian on the coast of Georgia. I haven't touched salt water yet (we arrived after dark and I didn't trust myself to find the edge of the salt marsh and then bend over to touch it without falling in!), but I am close enough to hear and smell it. As soon as we got out of the car at the B&B where we are spending the next two nights, I caught the unmistakable scent of salt marsh: a unique mixture of salt water, grasses, and plain ol' low country mud. I love it!

I make most of our travel plans using the internet. Sometimes I get a bit nervous and wonder what the accommodations will really be like. You never know if that picture of the room is 20 years old and the bed is now sagging. But I do a thorough job, reading not only the details on the individual property website, but often also the reviews by previous guests. And usually, I am perfectly content with everywhere we stay. (I tend to decide to be positive, rather than go in with a negative attitude, because I believe that you get what you expect.)

That said, every now and then I am blessed by a place that far exceeds my highest expectations, immediately putting me in a frame of mind that I can only call bliss. The Blue Heron Inn in Meridian GA is such a place. We are in a fabulous, huge room (the Blue Heron room) with a gorgeous, comfortable king size bed, a sitting area, and the most pampering, decadent bathroom I have ever seen. The bathroom has a long vanity with two sinks, an enormous jacuzzi tub, and a large walk in shower with double showerheads. And they even provided bubble bath. I love these people! Of course, after dinner I had to take a soak in the big tub, which was wonderful and relaxing. The only way it could have been better was if I had had a glass of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries too. (Maybe I'll buy both tomorrow.) I also spent a few minutes out on the balcony of our room, listening to and smelling the salt marsh and looking up at the stars. I am completely blissed out, and I haven't even seen the view yet!

My bubbly bliss:


Sign above the tub:


My sentiments exactly!

No comments: