Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Full moon ferry

Home! We took the 5 PM ferry from Cedar Island today and arrived home about 45 minutes ago. (Yes, I do realize that the fact that I am blogging before I have even unpacked may indicate something about my mental state. So be it!) The full moon rose while we were on the ferry, and it was a lovely sight. During the drive today, I began to feel less rushed as we moved away from traffic, stop signs, and billboards toward the quiet peace that is the Outer Banks. When we arrived at Cedar Island, I walked on the beach near the ferry landing, and (of course) touched salt water. The sound was perfectly smooth, adding to my sense of calm. The ferry ride was still and serene, as we motored along under the full moon. As we neared the island, the lights of the Coast Guard building and other structures around the harbor came ever more into view and focus. And, of course, my lighthouse was shining against the starlit sky. It was the perfect way to come home!

Last night, we stayed in a lovely Victorian B&B in Wilmington NC. I plan to go back and visit that city again, as there are several interesting things there I would love to see (Airlie Gardens, Screen Gems studios, an aquarium, a serpentarium, the USS North Carolina Battleship, and a handful of museums, among several other interesting sites). Anyway, looking around the B&B, I noticed several artfully displayed collections. The bathroom for our room was decorated with a collection of rubber duckies. The mantel in the dining room showcased a collection of glass candlesticks. But the collection which was my favorite was housed ingeniously in a secretary in the parlor. This particular collection made the shutterbug in me smile.



How far cameras have come, that I can share the photo I took - less than 12 hours ago - of these early ones with people all over the world.

No comments: