Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Acting young, feeling old

We spent a couple of hours today with Julie and her son Alex, before hitting the road again for our next destination. Alex is a sweet baby. He is also a BIG baby. He was born weighing nearly 11 pounds! I fed him yesterday and again today, and boy does he eat! He sucks down the contents of his bottles as if for dear life. It was a joy to spend some time with him and see how much he has grown and learned since he was born on Oct. 16th. It was also good exercise to lift and carry him. :) Here's a picture of him. What a cutie!



This afternoon, we drove to Greenville SC for a visit with John's daughter Mandy, son-in-law Rob, and our granddaughter Sophie. I had a blast jumping with Sophie on her new trampoline! Then we went upstairs and played school with her dolls. Finally, we read a chapter of one of her books before it was time to enjoy the delicious spaghetti and garlic bread dinner that Mandy had made for us.

I love spending time with babies and children. Watching them learn and observe the world is a joy. I have a blast acting like a child myself - from jumping on a trampoline to reading books I read when I was a child. But my knee aches a bit tonight, my body's way of reminding me that I'm not as young as I feel at heart. Oh, well...I'm not that old in body yet that I can't still enjoy acting like a kid!

Here's to finding and enjoying the child in yourself. Just don't hurt your adult body too badly while doing so!

No comments: