Saturday, January 19, 2008

A pretty city

I don't generally like cities. I'm most comfortable in a very small town on an island, remember? Nevertheless, I have always wanted to visit Savannah Georgia. So I planned a couple of nights in that town, one of America's oldest, on our way back home from Florida. During the drive up I-95, I saw a sign that said something to the effect of "visit Savannah, Georgia's prettiest city". I thought "can a city be pretty?"

We arrived this evening, unfortunately after dark, and found our B&B. We then drove around a bit, looking for a light dinner. That's when I discovered that a city can, indeed, be pretty. Savannah is a pretty city (at least the downtown/historic area where we are staying is, anyway). I love the old buildings (including several lovely churches), brick streets, trees covered with spanish moss, and all the squares. I can't wait to see it in daylight! I think I'll take a walk around the neighborhood tomorrow morning to check it out some more.

On a "kindred spirits" note, I had a fun moment with the desk in our room at the B&B. Here's a picture of said desk:


How many drawers does this desk have? (You may need to click on the picture - view it full screen - to take a good look for a thorough search.) If you said 12, you missed several. If you said 13, you're doing pretty well at hidden drawer spotting, although the first one is a bit obvious. If you said 17, you are a kindred spirit with me and other hidden drawer fans. I laughed out loud when I found the note in one of the hidden drawers in this desk (yes, of course, I had to open them all!) which started "secret drawer society" and was signed by several guests who had found it. The last ones even left a Hershey's Kiss in the drawer for the next finders (which turned out to be me...lucky me, as I love Hershey's Kisses). And yes, of course, I also signed the note. Now, if you know where all the secret drawers on this desk are, DON'T post a comment explaining their locations to the world (oh, okay...to my handful of blog readers). They are supposed to be SECRET after all!

And a quick aside to all my faithful daily readers who have been enjoying the ongoing saga of my internet access challenges while in an otherwise-fantastic resort in Kissimmee: ah, the joys of simple, in-room, FREE wireless internet access. I feel like I've returned to the world!

1 comment:

chumly said...

I love desks like that. Thanks.