Sunday, January 20, 2008

Examples

Last night, I blogged that I loved "the old buildings (including several lovely churches), brick streets, trees covered with spanish moss, and all the squares" of Savannah. Today we took a trolley tour of the city and saw several of all of the above, so I thought I would share a few photo examples.

Old buildings

This is one of the oldest buildings in Savannah. I don't remember what year our trolley driver/guide told us it had been built, but I do recall she said that it survived the fire of 1820.


This building has the courtesy to announce the year it was built right on its side:


One of the things I like about the old buildings here is the ironwork. This house is a good example, plus I like its spiral staircase.


The original Post Office building, now serving in another capacity (the guide told us what is in there now, but I didn't commit it to memory). I love the marble walls...they just don't build them like this anymore.


Lovely churches

This one was my favorite...


How about a lovely synagogue? This is Temple Mikveh Israel. I especially liked the decorative windows which are done with pretty green glass, although it is hard to tell in the picture.


Brick street

This is really more of a cobblestone street. There are brick streets here, too, but I didn't get a picture of any of those.


Trees covered with spanish moss

This is one of the largest trees I have seen


Here's a combo picture of a tree covered with spanish moss and and old building - the original armory (note the cannons on either side of the door), now one of the Savannah College of Art and Design buildings. SCAD has done a great job of restoring and maintaining many of the downtown structures.


Squares

One of many. Savannah has a total of 21 squares at present. You can learn more about them and see a satellite photo showing them here. The B&B where we are staying is right near Chatham Square, which is the bottom left one in the satellite shot.


I hope you've enjoyed this photo tour of Savannah. I recommend a visit here for a real tour, too!

No comments: