Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Good (and funny) advice

We had a pretty relaxing day today, with nothing specific planned that we had to do. I went into a company location so I could connect my laptop to the network to resolve an issue with my email (which was causing the laptop to crash completely after about 5 minutes of attempting to work with my email). Anyway, the desk I sat at to work had a funny card tacked to the wall in it, with what I thought was actually possibly a good piece of advice. It said:

The next time someone says to you "Let me ask you this..."

yell "NO!"

before they can ask...


I have at least one person in my life who says "let me ask you this", usually in response to me attempting to change the subject of the conversation or actually asking them to not talk to me about a particular topic which I don't think is appropriate to discuss with me. I'm not sure I'll actually have the guts to yell NO! before they can ask, but it will give me a chuckle to think about this card the next time it happens anyway.

I did take a picture of the card, but I had to use my Treo to do so, as I didn't have my camera with me. And of course, I don't have the cable to connect the Treo to the laptop so I can't upload the picture yet. But I'll get it on here after I get back home.

I had to wonder what had happened in the person's life which led someone to give him that card, too. Guess I'm not alone in dealing with "let me ask you this"-ers.

If you're curious re: blogging location this evening, it's the downstairs lounge again. The zamboni guy just started up his routine, but there's no angry lady tonight. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO! So, what were you doing in my office?? ;-) While I don't have that sign on my wall, as a senior guru on our product, I get all kinds of questions everyday. All my co-workers have grown to expect a NO! out of me as soon as they enter my office! Then, I usually answer their questions.

Ocrakate said...

LOL, Tom! Glad to know I am among good company of other people who have to deal with "let me ask you this" on a daily basis!