Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Dining out

When you live on an island, and then you go on vacation, you might do the opposite of what many people do when they travel in terms of eating in restaurants. Before I lived on Ocracoke, I would eat in places that I couldn't enjoy while at home, which meant nothing that was a chain. I would look for unique restaurants which existed only in the area we were visiting, family owned and operated places which the locals recommended (and where they ate too).

Now that I live on an island, the rule is the same, but different. I still want to eat in restaurants that I can't eat in at home. But now, that means I do want to dine at some of the chain places. Oh, don't get me wrong, you won't catch me haunting McDonalds any time soon, but I do enjoy eateries like Outback Steakhouse, Cracker Barrel, and The Cheesecake Factory. And yes, I do still ask the locals where to eat, and take their recommendations, too.

Tonight we ate at Outback Steakhouse with John's daughter Mandy, her husband Rob, and their daughter, our sweet granddaughter Sophie. (If you've visited us, you've seen several pictures of her on our refrigerator.) We munched a blooming onion (I love those things!) and heartily enjoyed the warm, fresh baked brown bread. My salad had a delicious dressing called "spicy tomato" which was hot and sweet at the same time. My appetite was satisfied and I was happy before my entree even arrived!

Here's Sophie reaching for a bite of bloomin' onion:


And checking out the interesting Australian signs. Where are those wombats?


Now aren't you glad I didn't post pictures of the food itself and make you hungry?

No comments: