Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Traditions

Tonight, I went to Jamie's house to rehearse with the Madri-Gals for the Ocrafolk Christmas concert. We're planning to sing two songs, one of which we have sung every year for the concert. It has become our tradition. This tradition hasn't become stale, though: we add new ladies to the group each year. The first year, there were four of us, then the next year there were five, and the following year we increased to six. This year, there will be seven.

I love holiday traditions. We already have several in my family, including what we put on the tree, when we open presents (one each on Christmas Eve, everything else the next morning), which of us hands out the presents to everyone else (and the hat she wears!), and the fact that one present will be a puzzle which we'll do later in the day.

Because I love traditions so much, there can never be too many! So I have started a few additional ones in the past few years. This year, I started two more: The Elf on the Shelf and a "countdown to advent" activity. (I can't help it...it's the kid in me who just wants to play this time of year!) I heard a sweet story last night at the Women's dinner, which gave me an idea for yet another tradition. I'll have to start that one next year!

No comments: