Monday, December 1, 2008

'Tis the season!

We got home tonight at 6:45, having taken the ferry from Swan Quarter at 4:00. It was already dark, of course, so one of the first things I noticed as we pulled into the harbor (after the Lighthouse) was the fact that the snowflakes and angels are up on the light poles. Tideland Electric Cooperative puts these lighted seasonal images up each year, and I always start to get into the Christmas spirit when I see them. As we drove around the harbor, I noticed that the Community Square buildings had lights on them as well. I love the fact that the lights on the Community Store are the old fashioned ones, with the big bulbs.

I hurried home from the ferry, changed my clothes, wrapped a gift, and headed right back out to the annual Ocracoke United Methodist Women's Christmas dinner and gift exchange. I always enjoy this evening of terrific food, singing carols, and giving (and receiving) the first presents of the season, so I wouldn't have missed it for the world even though I had to sneak in the back since I got there late!

After dinner, I updated the calendar on my refrigerator with some of the upcoming holiday events: the OPS Wassail Party and Community Tree Lighting, the Ocrafolk Christmas concert, the Cookie Exchange at the Library, Jimmy's Garage Party, pictures with Santa for the kids, the Books to Be Red children's Christmas party, caroling, the Live Nativity...and I'm sure there will be others I'll have to add to the calendar as I learn about them.

'Tis the season to be...busy! Hope you have fun with your holiday celebrations, whatever they may be and wherever you are...

No comments: