Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Box of Moonlight

Many of the houses on the island have names. Almost all of the rentals do, I suppose as a convenient way to refer to them during the process; but many of the permanent residents have also named their homes. I have an idea for a name for my house, but haven't actually had a sign made to hang on it yet.

I find the house names interesting. They make me wonder about the people who named them, and what the story is which was the inspiration for the name. Some of them are easy to figure out: they feature the names of the owners of the house (Arabella's Summer House, Chris and Mabels, and Gregory, for example). Others are named for island areas or things found here (Blue Crab, Ariosto (a shipwreck), Carolina Winds, and Far Away Oaks are some of these). Some are funny or play on words (A Shore Thing, Art-Sea, Dare to Hyde, Waterfront.calm, and House with No Name are a few of my favorites). There's one near my house named for a feature of a TV show (Bikini Bottom), and another whose name reminds me of a Jimmy Buffet song (Changes in Attitude). Several have "deep thoughts" sort of names (Contentment, Carpe Diem, Serendipity, Serenity, Tranquility).

And there are many which don't lend themselves to an obvious explanation. Why would someone name a house Blind Mullet? Or Court Jester? Fresh Fruit? Nutter Tree?

I had often wondered about the derivation of the name of a house called Box of Moonlight, but I don't need to wonder any more. Philip told me that the owner named it after a movie of the same name. Philip also recommended the movie, so I watched it tonight. It's a quirky independent flick, and I liked it. I wouldn't name my house after it, but I did like it.

No comments: