Thursday, May 29, 2008

Swap shop

This Saturday May 31st, there will be a "Baby Stuff Swap" at the Community Center. (Not a "baby swap", as the Ocracoker called it. I doubt anyone would want to swap their baby! Well, at least not permanently...)

Here's how the swap will work: between 11 AM and 1 PM, people will bring gently used baby items (toys, bedding, strollers, furniture, bottles, car seats, clothes, books, etc.) to the Community Center and drop them off there. Then, between 2 PM and 5 PM all items will be available for pickup by anyone who needs them. No money will change hands.

I love this on many levels. First, it's environmentally friendly - the items will be reused and recycled, rather than thrown away. I'm not specifically a believer in the idea of "reducing your carbon footprint" by doing things which "subtract" from what you've added by driving a car, etc. But as a person who will soon be putting plenty of diapers into trash cans, I do like the idea of keeping as many other things out of them as possible.

Also, it's an example of community support at its best. I suspect that, especially in this day and age of eBay and craigslist, there aren't many places where people willingly give things away for free, just to help their neighbors.

Finally, I appreciate the idea of the swap because I still need things for Connor! I'm looking forward to getting ideas from local parents about what I really need, and what will just be clutter. And I'm especially hoping that there will be a swap next year (there was one last year, and I've heard talk about making it an annual spring event). In a year, I won't be merely receiving the benefits of what has been donated, but will also have things to give away to others myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kati! I just recently found your blog and have been enjoying it ever since! :) My mom told me about Connor and I just wanted to tell you how excited I am! Can't wait to meet him! I'll be around to babysit if you need me! Until later... ~Emma

Ocrakate said...

Hi Emma! We miss you around here and are looking forward to seeing your smiling face again soon. I think you get back right about the same time that Connor will get here.

Hope you're still having fun in Denmark! See you soon...