Monday, May 5, 2008

Moves, adds and changes

As I drove off the ferry and down the island last night, finally making my way home from Colorado, I noticed a few things that were different from when I left. In my job, we use the term "MAC", which stands for move/add/change, to refer to updates happening in the work environment. So here's the update on the MACs I noticed:

- the store Village Diva has moved and is now on Back Road, on the left just past Pirate's Chest
- mile markers have been added to Highway 12 on Ocracoke
- the National Park Service is attempting to change the height of some of the sand dunes protecting the road, and they have installed sand fences (on top of the existing dunes) in order to do so

Today, I saw another addition: the ice machine. You may have already read about this, as I did, on ocracokeblog.com. It's right around the corner from my house, so now I've seen it with my own eyes.

Another recent change, which you may know about already, is an exciting one: the Community Store is open! I haven't experienced this change personally yet, but I hope to get in there and do just that very soon.

Some changes are good, some are not so great, but they are all certainly inevitable. Hope you are able to embrace change, wherever you are...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kati,

Speaking of changes, I've heard a rather startling one that I need confirmed or debunked....

Is it true that South Point is now completely shut off?? How far does the closure extend, have you heard?

<3 Jenni

Ocrakate said...

I haven't kept up on the issue very well recently, since I've been out of town, but I think that the total beach closures are only at night (10 PM - 6 AM), and only in certain areas (i.e. the entire beach isn't closed). Standard seasonal closures (for turtle and bird nests) continue as always. Check out www.islandfreepress.com for better details and updates.