Tuesday, May 13, 2008

No ferries

There were very few ferries running yesterday as a result of the wild wind. It reminded me of something John told me about a friend of ours. This lady says that she feels somewhat uncomfortable on Ocracoke because, for a few hours every day (between midnight and 5 AM, when the Hatteras ferry runs are stopped for the evening), and during windy weather, she can't leave if she wants to.

I found this interesting, because I have a completely opposite reaction to same information. I actually love the fact that there is a time period every day when everyone here will be here for the next several hours. It speaks of Ocracoke to me: a place that people choose to come to (seriously, no one "stumbles" across Ocracoke) and where some choose to stay (for varying lengths of time...some, like me, get "bitten by the bug" and do whatever it takes to stay for always).

The other feeling I get from the fact of no ferries is a sense of security. It feels like Ocracoke is a warm blanket which wraps itself around me, and I don't want to leave its confines.

I'm curious how others feel about this, residents and visitors alike. So weigh in, if you want to: leave a comment to let me know if not being able to leave Ocracoke (for the scheduled/expected few hours a day, or for extended periods during inclement weather) is something that bothers or pleases you, and why. Thanks!

No comments: