Monday, May 12, 2008

A lovely Saturday

I enjoyed a wonderful Saturday morning this past weekend with several examples of things that make the Ocracoke community special.

I started by riding my bike to Ocracoke Coffee Company for a smoothie and a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. I got the last portion of salmon, so it was already feeling like my lucky day! I sat at one of the tables, reading the latest Observer and enjoying my breakfast while watching the line of patrons ebb and flow. (It stayed pretty long for most of the time I was there.) This was where I noticed the first example of community - locals who stop in just for coffee (not a smoothie or bagel or something else that requires preparation) can skip the line, going to the end of the counter and serving themselves. There's a jar there to pay for your drink, and it's on the honor system.

After spending nearly an hour and a half at the Coffee Company (I enjoyed that bagel at a leisurely pace, and then I went shopping in Java Books), I headed back home. It took me several hours to get there.

How? Well, first I stopped to talk to Jamie who was out in her driveway. I stood there chatting with her long enough that we both started getting sunburned! And we talked about everything under the sun. It is good to have friends with whom you can chat about anything.

Then, I stopped at Marcy's house to say Hi and hug her and Charlotte, both of whom I had missed while I was in Colorado. Charlotte is getting so big! Marcy was putting her down for a nap, and once she was happily snoozing, Marcy blessed me with multiple bags of baby stuff for Connor.

I got home at about 1:30. I had left at 9:00 for a quick bagel. I loved every minute of it!

No comments: