Thursday, May 8, 2008

Home again!

Our most recently adopted cat, Jakes, came back home today after having been missing for 5 nights. I was worried about him, and thought it was entirely possible that we would not see him again, but I wasn't particularly distraught.

Why? Because I knew that if he didn't find his way home to us, someone would feed and take care of him. Ocracoke is definitely a cat friendly place. Several people even take responsibility for ensuring that the island's feral cat population eats regularly, spending their own money on food to put at areas where our feline citizens hang out in groups, like the Post Office and the Bank. So I knew that here in the village, Jakes would be in good hands.

We did post a flyer at the Post Office in case anyone had seen him, and very quickly got a call from our friend Amy. (We're still not sure if the cat she saw was Jakes or not, and of course it's a moot point now.) This is another great thing about the community here - people do try to keep a lookout for each other (and each other's animals!), and help when they can.


This picture is from a few weeks ago. Jakes loves snoozing in the laundry basket!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whew is all I have to say . . .

Ocrakate said...

Whew is right! I was quite relieved myself...