Monday, May 28, 2007

Working holiday weekend

For many people (in the US, anyway), today was a holiday - a day off from work. The Post Office and banks were closed. Here on Ocracoke we had many visitors for the long weekend who enjoyed taking advantage of their extra day without labor. For the residents, however, it was a work day like any other in "the season". I managed to get away from work duties for a short while today, and took a bike ride. As I was pedaling home, I saw some ladies I know from church. Just to make conversation, I asked "did you enjoy the holiday weekend?". One lady chuckled and said "yes, even though I had to work!" We all nodded in understanding. That's just one of the realities of living and working in a place that people love to visit. I don't think most people mind, since that hard work is what enables them to stay here, and that - of course - is well worth the effort!

No comments: