Thursday, May 17, 2007

Sudden showers

We have had a string of lovely spring days, with sunny, clear blue skies, and perfect neutral temperatures (warm but not hot). Today was different - overcast and dreary in the morning. It looked like rain. At about 3:00 this afternoon, it suddenly did (rain, that is). It was one of those sudden showers which doesn't announce itself with thunder or begin slowly with a few fat raindrops. One minute it wasn't raining, and the next it was coming down in streams. It wasn't what we Southerners call "cow on a flat rock" pouring, but it was a steady rain.

It matched my emotional state for the day. I have suddenly found myself completely behind again, with more to do than there are hours in the day to fit. Usually, that frustrates me but doesn't particularly upset me. Today, though, it was finally just too much. Every now and then I just felt like crying. So there were sudden showers outside, and on my face.

Don't worry, I'll be fine. After all, no matter how hectic my day is, I still live on Ocracoke! I think I'll go touch salt water now to remind myself of that, and get grounded again. It's currently raining, but I don't mind getting a bit wet. And I will certainly sleep well, since a) I'm exhausted and b) the sound of rain is a wonderful lullaby.

Good night!

No comments: