Saturday, May 5, 2007

I can pick 'em

For my last few years of high school and my first couple of years of college, I had a string of accurate picks for the winner of the three horse races which make up the Triple Crown (Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont Stakes). I would look at or hear a list of the competing horses' names, and I would say "(insert name here) is going to win". I was right for about 9 or 10 in a row. I didn't know anything about the horses, trainers, jockeys, or what the bookies were saying about who was expected to win. One name would just jump out at me. It was a bit odd, and my friends would joke that I should start betting on the races. (I didn't.)

In 2004, I picked Smarty Jones and he won. I don't remember who I picked in 2005, although if I remember correctly I was torn between Afleet Alex (who came in third) and Giacomo (who won), and I never decided on one of them. (We can pretend that, had I decided, I of course would have decided on Giacomo!) Last year, I picked Barbaro to win, and win he did. Poor guy had a rough year after that, and after several surgeries, he finally got to go to horse heaven.

Today, John read me just a handful of the names (6 or so out of the field of 20) for the Kentucky Derby. One "jumped out at me" the way they used to, but I didn't say anything at the time. Later in the day, though, I told several people that the winner would be Street Sense.

When race time rolled around, of course we had to watch. There were several people present, and I told everyone again that I thought the winner would be Street Sense. Three-quarters of the way into the race, when I heard the announcer say that Street Sense was running 19th out of the field of 20, I turned to John and said "guess I can't pick 'em anymore." Imagine my surprise when Street Sense came from behind in the last 1/4 mile of the race and won the dang thing! Guess my odd "talent" is working again! I think I know who's going to win the Preakness, too, but during my high school/early college streak, my pick always had to be done on the actual day of the race, so I may change my mind between now and then (or another name may "jump out at me" on Preakness day). We'll just have to wait and see.

I don't think there will be a Triple Crown winner this year. But we'll see about that too.

And, no, I'm not going to start betting on horse races! Or announcing here in advance who I think will win so that you can bet based on my pick, either.

No comments: