Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sailing and snacking

I went for a sail on the Miss Ocracoke today. (Okay, it wasn't literally a "sail", since the Miss Ocracoke is not a sailboat...but I was feeling alliterative again today, and somehow "cruising and crunching" just didn't sound quite as good as the title I settled on instead.) Anyway, the boat ride was an appreciation event for the people who volunteer at the school. The teachers brought a large selection of wonderful snacks, and we munched and chatted as Steve sailed us out to Teach's Hole. It was a lovely, needed break in the middle of a long day (well, a string of long days really!)

I always enjoy seeing Ocracoke from the water, and sailing in to Silver Lake for a view of the homes and other buildings around it from the opposite side from what I usually see. There's a metaphor in this, about looking at things from a different angle when life has got you stressed, exhausted, or just plain down in the dumps. It certainly lightened my heart for a few minutes to leave everything that has been stressful recently, and just watch sunlight on water. Here's wishing that you also have (or can find) the thing which brings you peace in the midst of sometimes-hectic life. A visit to Ocracoke is that thing for many people. If that's what it is for you, hope you can come out here soon!

As Jimmy Buffett puts it (yes, I'm a Parrothead):

Well I hope you understand
I just had to go back to the island
And watch the sun go down
(Sit and watch the sun go down)
Listen to the sea roll in
(Listen to the sea roll in)
...
Listen to the nightbird cry
Watch the sun set die
Well I hope you understand
I just had to go back to the island

No comments: