Sunday, May 20, 2007

Triple digits! and why I love wind

This is my 100th blog! Yes, I know that's really not that many in the grand scheme of things, but it does put me "in the triple digits" as they say. And since it will be a looooong while before I get in the quadruple digits, I'm excited about 100!

The wind picked up quite a bit today, late in the afternoon. It was a lovely warm, still day until about 4:00-ish when it started getting windy. Not annoying, "free microdermabrasion on the beach" windy, but windy nonetheless. Some wind is usually a given constant around here, so we're used to it. But sometimes wind can be frustrating - it makes it difficult to bike around (except when the wind is at your back, of course!), it makes a huge mess out of my long hair (which will be a pain - literally - to brush through later), and it wreaks havoc on my decorative flags (the one currently hanging up really needs to be replaced, as the edging broke down over time and finally had to be removed - it's only a matter of time now before it begins to look really ratty).

Even though it can cause problems, there is one thing I love about wind. I'm sitting here in my living room with the door open, and I can hear two lovely sounds: wind chimes tinkling, and the sound of waves washing up on the soundside beach near where I live (of the two, that's the sound I love better). I hear the wind chimes a lot, but I usually don't hear waves, since there are houses and a good bit of grassland between me and the water. But when there is enough wind, and everything else is quiet at night, I can hear the waves. It's very peaceful, and I enjoy it immensely. I can't hear it in my bedroom, unfortunately. Perhaps I'll sleep in the living room.

No comments: