Thursday, May 10, 2007

Turtles and spiders and frogs, oh my!

To continue my thoughts on being surrounded by animals out here, I had an animal filled day!

This morning, when I went out to feed the outside cats, I got to watch a turtle trekking to the food bowl. I wonder sometimes how many different species are actually eating the cats' food. I see evidence that the snails feast on it too, as they leave their silver tracks all over the bowls and the general vicinity. I know, of course, that the ducks enjoy it, and now there's the turtle too. I suspect the birds munch cat food every now and then, even though there's a bird feeder in the same area.

Speaking of cats: I neglected to provide an update on Savannah after blogging about taking her all the way to Virginia Beach to see the kitty cardiologist. Hope you weren't too worried! She is basically fine. She has cardiomyopathy, but it does not seem to be causing symptoms yet (she still eats, sleeps, and alternately plays with and gets annoyed at Jamie, the same as usual). The vet gave me some meds to give her, which she doesn't mind taking at all since I stick the pill inside a soft treat!

So back to this morning. After watching my turtle friend slowly lumbering toward his goal, I started a day which was anything but slow! It was far too full, and I found myself at 7PM stressed, frustrated and not finished with even half of what I needed to do today. I decided to leave it all for a few minutes and go to Springer's Point. I was incredibly blessed by that choice.

The first animal I saw as I walked through the preserve on the trail was a frog. He was sitting in the middle of the trail, but didn't hop away when I approached. He had settled down in his spot (there was an indention in the sand in which he was relaxing), and had no plans to move anywhere for me or anyone else. Well, perhaps he would have moved for a girl frog!

As I continued down the path, I saw evidence of many spiders living in the area. That is to say, I walked through several spider webs. I always feel bad to ruin the spider's hard work. I wish they would learn not to spin right across the path!

The real feast for my senses started when I arrived at the soundside beach. It was beautiful - the water was absolutely still, the sun was just beginning its descent, and the Schooner Windfall was out for her evening sail. What I noticed most was the quiet. I started singing a song which often comes to heart and mind when I am at peace on Ocracoke, but it seemed too loud in the stillness, so I stopped. I settled on a bench instead, and began to read. After just a few seconds, something made me look up from my book, and I am glad I did. I put my book down, walked to the sand, sat down and just watched.

Over the next few minutes, I ...
- saw a pelican perched quietly on the rocks - and soaring away when something startled him
- laughed out loud at a jumping fish which startled me
- watched an elegant egret looking for dinner
- had a conversation with a crab (it was a bit one sided - he just blinked at me - but I've had conversations with human beings I enjoyed less!)
- wondered what the mystery fish swimming nearby might be - it partially surfaced, sticking out just a fin, repeatedly...looked like a tiny dolphin or shark, but I'm sure there's a more reasonable explanation!
- followed the flight of a swallow which swooped down quite near me
- helped a hermit crab get turned right side up
- listened to tiny waves lapping on the rocks
- gazed at ducks gliding by completely silently
- and, my favorite part, enjoyed my own private dolphin show - there were several just off the point who surfaced playfully over and over again

And, lest you think Ocracoke is paradise, I also got gnawed on by gnats!

(For the highly observant among you: yes, I am feeling alliterative today and it was all intentional.)

As I walked back out of the preserve, I remembered the new information Len (the caretaker) had posted on the sign at the head of the trail. It was a statement that there are snakes (non poisonous) in Springer's Point, who are coming back out of hibernation now that it is warm again. Len also listed several types of animals which can be found on Ocracoke and in the Springer's Point area. I loved the last sentence he wrote: "This is their home...please be courteous." I am blessed to be able to share this island home with all its creatures.

No comments: