Tuesday, May 22, 2007

New music

A couple of days ago, I finished writing a review (for the Ocracoke Observer) of the new CD by Coyote. If you don't know, Coyote is Marcy Brenner and Lou Castro who live here on Ocracoke. They are just two of the island's many wonderfully talented musicians. Lou is also my guitar teacher, and Marcy is one of my good friends. Marcy and Lou have been playing together for 6 years, and married for nearly 4. They have previously released two CDs: Coyote Live from the Outer Banks and Home to Me. The new one is called Another Year Blooms, and it is excellent. I have listened to it many, many times in preparing to write the review, and I love it more each time I hear it. The songs are wonderfully memorable and singable: they have sweet phrases and lovely melodies that stick with me, and come to mind fairly frequently. They have been a calming influence in the midst of my recently-crazy life!

The CD will be available starting June 1st in island shops, and also online at soundsiderecords.com. I highly recommend buying a copy!

If you are on the island this summer, you can see Marcy and Lou live. Here's their performing schedule (and schedules for music on the island in general) -
- Rumgagger (Captain Rob Temple and Fiddler Dave of Molasses Creek) - Tuesdays at Deepwater Theater
- Coyote - Tuesdays and Sundays at the Jolly Roger with Martin Garrish & Friends
- Ocrafolk Opry - Wednesdays at Deepwater Theater (including Coyote, Molasses Creek, Captain Rob & Sundae, and many others)
- Molasses Creek - Thursdays at Deepwater (Lou will appear with them sometimes)
- Coyote and Noah Paley - Fridays at Deepwater Theater (new show!)

And don't miss the Ocrafolk Festival (June 1 - 2) if you can help it!

Links of interest:
Coyote
Molasses Creek
Soundside Records
Deepwater Theater Calendar
Noah Paley
Ocrafolk Festival

2 comments:

CJL said...

Kati,

Based on your recommendation, I took my family to see Coyote and Noah Paley on 6/29 (including my 8 year old son Alexander). What a great show! A fantastic ending to our week in Ocracoke. Really talented musicians in an intimate venue. Thanks again for pointing us in their direction! Chris

Ocrakate said...

Hi Chris ~ so glad you liked the show! I'll pass your comment on to Marcy, as I know she'll be thrilled to hear it was enjoyed by all.