Sunday, May 27, 2007

For a good cause

I bought a necklace with a diamond circle pendant last night. I think I got a good deal, too (at least I paid about $85 less than I was told was retail value, I have no idea whether what I was told was accurate or not). But even if I paid too much for it, I didn't mind. Where on Ocracoke, you might wonder, did I find such a thing? And why would I not mind overpaying for it? I won the necklace (and a couple of other items) at the auction held last night to raise funds for the Ocracoke Volunteer Fire Department (OVFD). It had been donated by Kay Jewelers for the auction, which was only one part of the event held to benefit this worthy cause. Before the auction there was a pig pickin', and after the auction, a dance. The barbecue was delicious, the auction successful (and highly entertaining), and the dance I'm sure was great (I left after the first few songs, as it was late and I was getting tired).

I was told today that the entire event raised approximately $30,000 for OVFD, which is excellent but unfortunately doesn't make a huge dent in the need for approximately $1M to purchase a new truck and construct a new building (the current one is old, has been flooded multiple times, doesn't have enough room for all the trucks, and is not big enough to hold a ladder truck which is also needed since houses are being built higher (off the ground) and taller in recent times than they have been in the past).

If you can help, please consider donating to OVFD next time you are on the island. One fun way to do so is to play Bingo, which is held on Wednesday nights at the Fire Hall during the summer.

No comments: