Saturday, May 19, 2007

Roomful of wisdom

The Assembly of God Church held a luncheon for Ocracoke's seniors (age 65 and over) today. I helped serve, and also delivered lunches to seniors who couldn't get out to attend the event itself. At one point, standing near the dessert table, I looked out across a roomful of gray and silver heads. It was lovely. I thought about how much wisdom and Ocracoke history was stored in the minds of this group, and wished I could tap into it somehow.

Later in the lunch time, I sat next to a sweet lady named Macky. She also volunteers at the school, and is often in the first grade classroom at the same time I am on Friday mornings. Talking with her about the kids reminded me of how much I enjoy spending time with both the youngsters and the elders in the community. I learn much from both of them.

No comments: