Saturday, June 20, 2009

Queen of the solstice

Tonight there was a potluck at Philip's house to celebrate the summer solstice. The food was delicious, as it is at every Ocracoke potluck, perhaps even more than usual because most of it was made with fresh summer fruits and vegetables, most of them probably home grown. It's hard to beat that!

Anyway, just before I went to get myself some dessert, Lou Ann explained that there was a "token" hidden in the fig cake and that the person who got it would be crowned king or queen of the solstice. Good thing she did, because that way when I came across the small seashell while slicing into my piece of cake, I wasn't as surprised as I might otherwise have been.

So yes, I got to be the queen of the solstice. Lou Ann even held a mock coronation ceremony, with a funny speech which ended with "wear this crown in good health, but only for about an hour". I didn't get to keep my crown! (I actually passed it on to Caroline, to serve as princess of the solstice for the second half of the potluck, since John and I had to leave fairly early to put Connor to bed.)

Here's a picture of me in my royal finery. (Thanks, Lou Ann!)

No comments: