Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hangin' out at the coffee shop

John, Connor and I took a walk to the Coffee Shop today. Well, John and I walked...Connor rode in his stroller, of course! It was a warm, sunny afternoon...perfect for a walk and a smoothie. So when we got there, I went in and got one. We then sat outside in the shade of the old trees and chatted as I drank it. Connor was happy as a clam, just hanging out in his stroller playing with his toys. We ended up sitting there for well over an hour, talking with different friends who happened by (John treated several of them to smoothies or whatever else they wanted from inside). Sundae and Caroline brought us the Girl Scout items we had ordered, and we had to break open two of them right away: cashews and chocolate covered raisins (more about those in a moment). We chatted and snacked, watching the day go by, and I simply didn't think about the 47 things on my "to-do" list. It was lovely.

Girl Scout chocolate covered raisins, I swear, are more addictive than crack. (No, I don't actually know this by experience, having never compared the two, but I do know that I could eat an entire can of chocolate covered raisins if someone doesn't stop me!) This fact has become well known by Sundae. I called her in a mild state of panic last fall, hoping that she still had cans left over from the sale, only to be disappointed when she didn't. Then in spring, I was crushed to discover that chocolate covered raisins are only sold during the FALL Girl Scout sales, and I would have to wait several more months before I could satisfy my craving! This year, I think I'm set. I ordered several cans from Caroline, to make sure I wouldn't run out.

But that's not the end of the story. Sundae, who is one of the Girl Scout leaders, suggested to Leslie (one of the other leaders) that they order a couple of cases of extra items, and have a "booth" type sale of them, setting up at the Variety Store or somewhere similar. When Leslie expressed concern about ordering a whole case, Sundae said "don't worry about it...if we don't sell any of the chocolate covered raisins, John and Kati will buy the whole case!"

But that's still not the end of the story. While we were sitting at the Coffee shop enjoying our snacks, John asked Sundae how many cans were in a case. She told him, he did some quick math, handed her the money and said "I'll take the whole case of raisins". We stopped by Leslie's house to pick them up, and her husband Bill expressed his surprise, saying "I thought I had heard you wrong when you said you were here to buy a case...I thought surely you meant a CAN". So now I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 cans of chocolate covered raisins in my pantry (good thing we have a big pantry). That certainly should significantly decrease the likelihood that we'll run out before the Girl Scouts fall sale in 2009. Probably.

No comments: