Friday, November 7, 2008

Cake for breakfast and weather over water

I ate my cake from Cafe Atlantic today - for breakfast. Sometimes, you just have to completely indulge yourself and do something ridiculous. In my opinion, anyway.

This afternoon at 2, I went to the school to read to the first graders. I had been inside all day up to that point. As I was getting on my bicycle, I heard a ferry horn. I thought nothing of it. About a minute later, the horn sounded again. I thought "that's odd". A minute later, it sounded again. Now I was getting really curious. I heard the horn about 6 to 8 times in the time it took me to ride from my house to the school. As Alice would say, I thought it was "curiouser and curiouser".

When I got to the school, I heard the horn again and said something to Mary Ellen about it. She said, "it's because of the fog". Fog? I had no clue there was fog. There wasn't any in the village (or at least I hadn't seen any during my short ride to the school). It's fascinating to me how the weather over the water often differs quite a bit from that over land. (Mary Ellen said that earlier in the day it had indeed been quite foggy in the village, but I had missed that since I was indoors all morning.)

No comments: