Saturday, November 15, 2008

Potluck and a movie

I went to Bill and Lida's house tonight, for another potluck. That's two in five days...lucky me! There was plenty of delicious food, as always. My favorite this time was the parmesan fish that Karen made using the Cafe Atlantic recipe. Merle brought a terrific dessert: chocolate volcano cakes in individual ramekins, enough for everyone to have one. There was heavy whipping cream to pour over them, making it even more indulgent. Mmmmm. I haven't had breakfast yet this morning as I type this, and now I am officially starving from thinking about all that food!

After the meal, most of the guests stayed to watch a documentary called "Home of the Brave", about civil rights activist Viola Liuzzo. Most of us had never heard of her, and I suspect you may not have either, but she certainly had an impact on the civil rights movement. Examples like that - of people who are obscure, unknown, certainly not famous, who still make a difference and yet are unremembered - fascinate me. Unfortunately, as in many of those cases, the reason Viola's life made a difference was because it ended - she was murdered while helping drive marchers home after the Selma to Montgomery marches in 1965. If you are interested in the civil rights movement, you will probably enjoy the film.

No comments: