Saturday, November 8, 2008

Community support

Today, I enjoyed participating in multiple yard sales. There was the one on the lawn at the Pony Island motel, which supported the Ocracoke Youth Center. And then there was one at each of the churches, which supported...well, the churches, of course! There were lots of people at all of the sales, and I hope that all three organizations benefited.



The structure of the Youth Center yard sale was that you could donate items for them to sell, or you could set up your own table to sell stuff and then give them a portion of your proceeds. I had a box of things I wanted to sell, so I opted for this method. Unfortunately, I failed to consider the impact of being surrounded by other people who were also selling their stuff, not to mention the impact of visiting the other two yard sales. My point? I bought way much more than I sold, returning home with more than I had when I left! Ah, well...it was for a good cause.

This particular set of autumn yard sales has become an annual event, and I always enjoy participating. I love watching the community in action, supporting each other.

After the yard sales, I went to the Post Office and saw two flyers which reminded me about a couple of additional upcoming events of community support. Tomorrow, the Cafe Atlantic will be serving brunch for the only time this season. (I am very excited about this, as I've been jonesing for Cafe brunch ever since they announced they were no longer going to be serving it!) Then, on Friday the 21st a benefit lunch of BBQ chicken plates will be served at the Hyde County Government Center. Both of these events are to benefit a member of the community who has recently been diagnosed with cancer. I know that both events will be very well attended, because that's just one of the things this community does well: support each other.

No comments: