Monday, July 7, 2008

Sud-oh-no

My sister Jocelyn and her boyfriend Damon are Sudoku fans. I have, of course, heard about the Sudoku craze (I live on an island, not under a rock), but until a couple of days ago I hadn't yet tried to do one. Jocelyn brought a book of puzzles with her and taught me how to solve them. I started with the easy ones, naturally. I haven't progressed beyond easy ones yet. But I have been able to solve a couple of the easy ones all by myself! (I won't tell you how long that takes, and certainly won't compare it to how long it takes Jocelyn or Damon to do an easy one!)

Before trying Sudoku myself, I really had no interest in it, and certainly didn't understand the tendency toward obsession with it. But now I feel the pull...there's something about wanting to improve on your past performance and "beat yourself" which is highly addictive.

So try it sometime, if you haven't yet. Or don't, if you would rather not get captured by it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, your productivity level will now experience the Coriolis Effect of spiraling toward the right in its proverbial circling of the drain....as with any spiral, it will start off slow, wide, and easy......then it will gain in strength as it closes in, until you are sucked down into the maelstrom, and the beastie consumes you totally.

You think youre frustrated now, just wait until you spend countless hours doin those things...They will totally ruin a good day at the beach.....