Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hometown tourist

My sister and I went for a walk tonight, and saw along the way a lady I met during the storytelling workshop earlier this year. She commented that she had been here for a week but hadn't seen me out and about, and asked if I had been busy or off the island. That got me started reflecting on the idea of being a tourist in my own home town.

It is too easy, when you live and work on Ocracoke, to miss the events and activities that make it a wonderful vacation destination. I really need to make sure I take more time to get out and do the fun things, like attending DeepWater Theater shows, kayaking, walking on the beach, and other such good stuff.

The funny thing about having these thoughts today in particular, is that I actually managed to do a couple of "touristy" things this afternoon. I went into an island shop, ate ice cream at the Slushy Stand, and even engaged in some truly goofy tourist behavior. Here's the evidence:

5 comments:

connorsmommy said...

nice ones kate! can you crush cans with them like that lady on america's got talent?

Anonymous said...

I assume that by hometown, you mean the secondary definition - correct? You don't seem like a native Islander to me based on your blog.

Ocrakate said...

Yes, anonymous, I mean "hometown" in the sense of the place where I live now and make my home, in both the literal (physical) and also the figurative (emotional) sense of the word. I am not an O'cocker, but Ocracoke is where my heart finds home.

On a lighter note: sorry, connorsmommy, but there will be no can crushing by the busty mermaid. :)

Anonymous said...

How did you know my name?!? ;0) Seriously... Thanks for answering my question. It does help to put things into perspective, especially in light of the idealistic, pollyanna view of Ocracoke you portray in your blog.

Ocrakate said...

You're welcome, anonymous.

I am an optimist and generally choose to focus on the positive. Ocracoke isn't perfect, and I don't claim that it is. My readers seem to prefer my "happy" blogs to my "rant" ones, anyway, from what I hear from folks.

There's plenty of difficult stuff in life (here on Ocracoke, too) and I don't think people read Ocracoke blogs (mine or anyone else's) because they want to hear about those things.

Also, I've never written a single thing on this blog that wasn't true. As I said in a post once, Ocracoke isn't perfect, but it is pretty darn wonderful. (Of course, so is every place else, if one chooses to intentionally look for the good.)