Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pot luck party

We went to the pot luck welcome home party for Emma Lovejoy tonight. (Emma recently returned to the island after spending nearly a year as an exchange student in Denmark.) It was one of the most enjoyable potlucks I've ever attended (which is saying a lot because I love pot lucks and go to several (and host one or two) every year).

There were several things which made this a great potluck, one of which was - of course - the food. What makes food at an Ocracoke potluck terrific is not merely that it's delicious, though. It's also that it's comfortingly familiar. Here's what I mean by that: I went through the food line tonight with Damon and my sister, and found myself pointing out several dishes I recommended they try, because they are yummy. I said things like "this is Sundae's pineapple casserole - sweet and cheesy at the same time", "Marcy's sausage rolls are always good", "definitely try some of Kitty's lima beans", "Philip makes fantastic deviled eggs", and "eat whatever Merle brings, no matter what it is". It's not merely food at an Ocracoke potluck; it's friendship in a bowl.

After most folks had finished eating, several musicians brought out their instruments and entertained the crowd. It wasn't a show to just watch, though, and we weren't a passive, uninvolved audience. People sang along, crowd members were named in one song, kids played and danced in the middle of the circle of musicians, and Philip brought out (and played) his "dancing man" (a cute toy which is also a percussion instrument, played by bouncing the platform under the jointed wooden guy, causing his legs to jump, hit the platform, and tap out a rhythm).

I loved the sense of community and belonging at this particular potluck, evidenced mostly through the children. They were included in the fun, encouraged to sing, and cared for by whomever was closest. Sundae held Marcy's daughter Charlotte, I played with Sundae's daughter Mariah Daisy, and everyone stopped by our table to meet Connor, who slept in Emma's arms for a while.

I am deeply blessed to be part of this circle of food and friendship. Hope you are surrounded by good food and better friends, wherever you are...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post! :)
I agree - It was a great night! Thanks for coming! I'm glad mine could be Conners first potluck!

Apparently i don't have you email address... but here is a link to a picture i thought you should see!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s210/emmaocie/potluck060.jpg