Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Island nuts

No, this blog is not about some of the more - er, unusual - residents of the island (although there are plenty of them). It's about my new favorite snack - macadamia nuts from another island: Hawaii.

While Damon and Jocelyn were here, Damon's mom sent a gift set of 3 cans of macadamia nuts - one milk chocolate covered, one salted, and one Kona coffee dark chocolate. I'm not sure if Damon meant to leave them behind for us when he left or not, but it was my luck that he did! There's only one problem - I am going to be sad once I eat them all.

Did you know that macadamia nuts are one of Hawaii's major exports? That got me wondering what the major "exports" of Ocracoke are. Fig preserves, maybe (at least in the edible category). Gifts of all varieties. Seashells. Memories.

No comments: