Thursday, July 3, 2008

Multiple kinds of music

I heard some music recently and thought to myself "that sounds like... but it can't be." So I looked up to see the source of the tune, and sure enough it was: an ice cream truck.



Yesterday, I followed it to get a couple of pictures and find out more. I spoke to the guy driving the truck, who told me that they would be here all summer, and that they are working on both Ocracoke and Hatteras.

And then, yes, I indulged. I couldn't help myself. I did manage to resist ordering the choco-taco and reliving the 80s, but now I'm thinking that was a bad choice. Honestly, how often do you get the chance to have a choco-taco?

I took my ice cream cone down to the boat ramp, sat on a bench and enjoyed it while watching a ferry arrive. I also watched two families: one fishing and the other having a picnic on the dock at the ramp. It was lovely and peaceful, marred only by the fact that I had the ice cream truck music playing over and over in my head.

After finishing my ice cream, I went home, ate a quick dinner (life is short, you should eat dessert first) and then went to the Ocrafolk Opry show at Deepwater Theatre. It was a terrific show as always, and I enjoyed having real music chase the ice cream truck song out of the crevices of my brain where it had been repeatedly playing.

After the show, I stood outside and talked with a friend for nearly an hour. It was a lovely evening, with no clouds and very few bugs, so we were able to enjoy and extend our conversation. I rode my bike home under a canopy of beautiful, plentiful stars.

Now lest you think that Ocracoke is perfect: I got sand spurs stuck in my feet while walking out to the bench at the dock to eat my ice cream cone, and my friend and I talked mostly about things that have been really annoying us lately. It's not utopia living here. But - at least on evenings like last night - it's pretty darn close.

No comments: