Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Eerie day

It was a strange, foggy day. I have seen thick fog before, but this was unique in that it danced around in the wind. It alternated between looking like fog and looking like blowing rain. It definitely wasn't raining, though (there was no downward fall of the water, just millions of tiny droplets hanging and swaying in the air). The ferries stopped running, but every now and then we heard a ferry horn (I am not sure why). In the fog, sounds were strangely muted and elongated. When I stopped by Silver Lake after dinner, there was an eerie low hum echoing over the water.

It is difficult to take pictures of fog, but I did manage to get this good one:



For a good sense of how foggy it is, compare that picture to the one on my Jan. 28 blog, which is a view of the same area (Springer's Point) taken from about the same spot, only on a sunny day.

As I write this, it is 9PM and the fog does not appear to be lifting. If anything, it seems a bit worse now that it is dark and cool (driving to Jason's for sushi dinner was a slow process).

I'm wishing for clear sunny skies tomorrow. Hope the weather is not too strange where you are...

No comments: