Saturday, February 23, 2008

Grocery shopping

I went to the Variety Store today, which got me started musing about the ways that shopping for groceries is different on Ocracoke from how it most likely is in your hometown (unless, of course, you live on a small island - this one or another one!)

The name of the store notwithstanding, there is less variety in our store than in your average large chain grocery store like Food Lion, Kroger, etc. This is for obvious reasons of space, but I actually appreciate it. I find having to choose from only 10 - 15 kinds of cereal less overwhelming than having options of 80-100 types. (The cereal aisle in large grocery stores amazes me...) One thing that I bet the Variety Store has more of than your local store, though, is canning jars. There are three shelves of them! (I'll add a picture to this post later, I didn't have my camera with me today.) This is because so many people on Ocracoke grow - and then can - their own fruits and vegetables. It has always been that way, and is a part of the unique history of this place. I have an aerial photograph of Ocracoke Village in the 20s, and it shows many large gardens, one next to almost every house.

The grocery shopping experience is different here too. Mostly, it's much more personal. The staff knows almost everyone by name, talking and good natured kidding can be heard, and people often stop and chat in the aisles. The personal touch even extends to the carts, which say "Thank you for shopping with Hutch". Hutch was what everyone called Mr. Hutcherson who started the store (his son Tommy owns and manages it now). And speaking of your cart: you don't take it out to the parking lot when you leave, since the store is raised about 6 steps off the ground. This has the excellent side benefit of ensuring that there is never an issue with carts rolling around the parking lot! If you have too much to carry out easily by yourself, the cashier will call a member of the staff to come help you. While we're on the cashiers: they are some smart folks, who have memorized the prices of most of the products in the store. There is no scanner to be found, and all prices are punched in on the register (those cashiers have some fast fingers, too!) Many of the items have traditional price stickers on them, but I don't think the cashiers read them most of the time, they just know what things cost.

People shop differently here, too. They usually buy small quantities, sometimes only what they need for dinner that evening. (The only time I see an Ocracoker with an overflowing cart is in a grocery store off the island - that's where we go to stock up on the basics, and of course it makes sense to get lots of them after you've spent at least an hour and a half riding a ferry and driving to get to the large store!) I suspect this smaller-load shopping is because islanders make stopping at the store part of their daily routine - it's near the Post Office, and many people go there almost every day too. I often see people in the Post Office and then again a few minutes later in the Variety Store, or vice versa.

I was at the Variety Store today buying supplies for my "bless this mess/come see our work in progress" open house at the new house, which is tomorrow (Sun. 2/24) from 2 - 5 PM. If you're reading this, you're invited!

2/24 Update
Okay, here's a picture of the canning jars. I realized when I looked closer to take the picture that there are actually a total of four shelves dedicated to canning. The top shelf holds lids, wax, pectin and other canning-related supplies.



And across the aisle, there's something else you don't see in most grocery stores. Unless you live here, I bet there isn't a cooler with this sign on it where you shop for food!



Happy shopping. Or fishing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.