Monday, February 18, 2008

Wild weather

A string of storms came through here this morning, drenching the island and bringing loud thunder and howling wind along with them. For a while it was raining sideways, something which usually doesn't start happening until March. There was a tornado watch or warning (I'm not sure which) until about 11 AM. Luckily, there wasn't any major damage around the village, just the usual road flooding in the standard low areas. (No, the island is not sinking!) I did see a few small tree branches which had been blown down, but nothing large enough to cause real problems.

That's just one of the potential risks associated with having so many gorgeous live oak and cedar trees around here. Another impact of all these wonderful trees is itchy eyes and/or sneezing, for those of us with allergies. (I get the itchy eyes but luckily not the sneezing.) This time of year, the cedar pollen is out in force, so a rainy day is actually a bit of a blessing, washing it all away and giving me a day off from eye rubbing. (Yes, I know I shouldn't rub my eyes...guess I'll have to take an antihistamine instead.) It's a small price to pay as far as I'm concerned, because the trees on Ocracoke are one of my favorite things.



The weatherman just told me (and everyone else watching the newscast, of course!) that there will be a total lunar eclipse on Wednesday night, which we should be able to see well from here if it isn't too cloudy. I'll check it out and let you know how it is.

Hope you're not rubbing your eyes or sneezing, wherever you are...

No comments: