Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Changes

There are several new things in my life lately. The new house is the major one, of course! But here are a couple of others...

A new truck (so now I don't have to move everything in the convertible!) It's not really new, but it's new to me. My Dad loaned it to us to help with moving. It will definitely come in handy when it's time to move large pieces of furniture like beds, couches, and other bulky things.

A new cat. This is Jakes, and he is actually my sister's cat. He has come to live with us now, though. He's not sure yet what he thinks of not being an "only cat" any more, but I think he'll get used to it.



This time of year on Ocracoke, I start noticing and hearing about plans for new businesses and other changes for the upcoming season. I know this isn't anything like a comprehensive list, but here are a couple of changes I've observed or heard about:
- There will be a new antique store in the (former) Styron house, across from Albert Styron's Store. I say former because it is no longer owned by the Styron family; the house was recently purchased by two retired ladies who will be running the shop and living there as well. I'm told that this house has previously held a couple of other businesses, including an ice cream shop for a while, although that was before I started visiting the island.
- Something new will be in the former Dolphin Cove shop on Highway 12. The building has recently been painted red in preparation for whatever will be there. I am not sure what that will be; one of the things I've heard is that it will be a restaurant related to Smac Nally's (Smac Too or Smac Two?).

The only thing constant in life is change, that's for sure...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my god! Jakes is SO fat! seriously, no wonder John said he didnt eat, hes HUGE.

Ocrakate said...

Oh give the poor cat a break. He's stressed! Not to say that he can't afford to miss a meal or two, but really, we do hope he begins to eat more regularly (and spend more time NOT underneath the furniture) soon. Don't worry, he'll be fine and we'll take good care of him. (You would expect no less from the future crazy cat lady of Ocracoke, right?)