Sunday, February 17, 2008

Interrupted by... quiet

I have the bad habit of having nearly constant background noise. I think I got it from my Dad, who always turns on the TV as soon as he walks in a room, and leaves it on for the entire time he is there. More often than I would like to admit, I do the same. In the car, I have the radio on all the time (unless I'm driving with someone else, in which case the air is filled by chatting instead). To make matters worse, I often multitask. I'm watching TV right now and blogging at the same time. No wonder I have a mild headache.

The odd thing is, I really love quiet. When I have a moment where nothing is playing in the background, I enjoy the stillness and the sense of peace it brings to my mind. The silence on the water is one of the reasons I love kayaking. I adore the first few minutes I'm awake (on the days I have the opportunity to sleep in and wake up naturally rather than having to hear an alarm), when all is hushed.

A couple of days ago, I was watching TV when the channel suddenly went quiet. I looked up (I was multitasking, of course!) and saw this:



Things like that happen a bit more often here than in most areas, I suspect, but I don't mind. It's just one of the aspects of life on an island. This particular outage lasted for about half an hour, and I actually enjoyed the forced silence. It's a pity that it needed to be forced. I really need to get into the habit of taking a few moments for stillness and peace on my own accord.

Hope your world is not too loud, wherever you are...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what did you see? cause i cant see it!!!!! boo to broken links!

Ocrakate said...

Amen to your boo to broken links! I don't know what the heck is wrong with blogspot and pictures, but it seems like I have to re-post almost every one! Hope this one stays visible now...