Monday, February 4, 2008

The duck scatterer

You've heard of the horse whisperer? I'm the duck scatterer. Recently, I've been touching salt water late at night, and I've been going to the edge of Silver Lake to do so. There's a small group of ducks which sometimes hangs out around there, and when they see and hear me coming, they begin quacking and swimming away. So I'm the duck scatterer.

Ducks and geese thrive on Ocracoke. There's plenty of water (the ducks I see most often especially love the puddles in the street after a good rain, but they also seem to enjoy swimming in Pamlico Sound), friendly people feed them (although many would argue that this isn't all that healthy for the ducks), and traffic stops for them when they cross the road (yes, really).

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the ducks to post here. I scattered them, remember?

No comments: