Friday, February 15, 2008

A jazzy evening

I spent part of this evening enjoying the Valentine's Gala event at DeepWater theater, featuring the Ocracoke Jazz Society. It was, as the flyer promised, a lovely evening of delightful music, art and witty conversation. I saw several beautiful women and handsome men in attendance, and there were PLENTY of delectable treats.

I took a chocolate fondue fountain, with marshmallows, bananas, and pound cake for dipping. It was well received, but a bit of a pain to prepare (and even more effort to clean up!), so I'm not sure I'll do that again. (At the very least I won't take a fondue fountain to a party; I may set it up at a party at my house, so the challenge of transporting it is out of the equation.)

The Jazz Society was excellent, and entertained the crowd for nearly 2 hours with old favorites and new songs as well. I never cease to be amazed at the large amount of talent in this small town.

2 comments:

WaterHealer said...

It sounds like a wonderful evening. Towards the end of March my family and I are coming to visit the outer banks of NC. It sounds so beautiful from your descriptions. Is there a place you can recommend we stay for a few days. Is there things we should do? Thanks,
Brad

Ocrakate said...

Hi Brad ~ there are many options for places to stay on the island, depending on your preference (B&B, hotel, cottage) and your budget. The best way to learn more about your choices is at http://www.ocracokevillage.com or http://www.ocracokeisland.com (both of those websites also have information about restaurants, shops, and things to do). The things I would recommend not missing while you are here are the Lighthouse, the British Cemetery, Springer's Point Nature Preserve, and of course the beach. Have fun!