Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Under dressed

I can't get the hang of this cold, then warm, then cold, then warm again spring weather. And I'm terrible at paying attention to the forecast when deciding what to wear. Either my mom didn't explain to me, when I was a young child, that I should find out what the temperature is expected to be BEFORE I pick out my clothes for the day, or I just wasn't paying attention that morning. I have a Jewish mother, which means she is a worrier (as am I, now that I am an adult, even though I am not yet a mother); so I am very sure that she took excellent care of me and always ensured I was appropriately dressed for the climate of the day. I just failed the part of the class where I should have learned to do that for myself! (Maybe I thought my mom would pick out my outfits for the rest of my life! More likely, I didn't give much thought to picking out clothes at all; the schools I attended until I was 12 required uniforms, so there wasn't much choosing to do!)

All of this to say that I got up this morning and put on a t-shirt dress. A cute thing, which is highly appropriate on warm spring days (the weight of the material combined with the fact that it's black makes it a bit too hot in the heat of summer). Today, however, was NOT a warm spring day. It didn't really affect me, because I didn't go outside until just a few minutes ago (at about 10:30 PM). Then I noticed the cold! (I did think to put a light jacket on before I went for my salt-water-touch walk), but my legs got pretty darn chilly! Lucky for me salt water is close by, so I wasn't outside for long.)

The song "You're never fully dressed without a smile" came to mind as I was walking home and thinking about what I would blog. I was underdressed that way today, too. I have been so busy recently that it is beginning to wear me out, and I am not in the best of moods. I am currently living the saying "I try to take life one day at a time, but lately it seems several days have attacked me at once!" Oh, and the lighthouse is out again, to boot. :(

I'm hoping to spend more time outside near salt water tomorrow, to let Ocracoke work its magic. Seeing sunlight on seawater rarely fails to lift my spirits. Maybe they'll get the lighthouse fixed too, and the gray clouds which hung around here most of today will blow away. Might as well hope for as many good things as possible!

Hope you are "appropriately dressed", in the sense of being ready for whatever life throws your way. And don't forget your smile!

No comments: