Friday, April 6, 2007

Tree of thanks

There is a seashell tree in Springer's Point. No, I'm not hallucinating. Okay, it's not really a growing tree ~ it's a tree branch which has been used as part of a fence to mark the line between the public access nature preserve property and the privately owned property in the same area.

What interests me about this "tree", however, is the fact that people put seashells on it. This has been happening for quite some time, and the tree now has a good number of shells hanging from its limbs. I stopped and looked at it yesterday, and the image suddenly spoke to me of thankfulness. It looks like a person, arms outstretched, lifted to the sky to give gifts of beauty back to the Creator in humble thanks.

We who live here (and those of you who visit) realize that Ocracoke is a great gift of beauty, to cherish and be grateful for. Sometimes we get too caught up in the busy-ness of life to stop and remember that fact, though. So I'm thankful to the shell tree for reminding me.

No comments: