Sunday, April 1, 2007

Overcommitted

One aspect of getting involved on Ocracoke is that, once people find out that you are a) willing to assist and/or b) good at something, they keep asking you to do that thing (or something similar). I would not have thought this would affect me, since what I'm good at is a bit non-specific. I am a really good organizer (I even plan things in my personal life using spreadsheets...it's a bit scary, really!) People tell me that I'm also a decent writer. And I'm a born editor - I am constantly finding errors in printed materials. One of my favorite sayings is "the world is in dire need of editors". But I didn't expect that anyone would notice these skills of mine, let alone that so many people would ask me to use them.

So, what happens when you have this particular set of abilities, and people begin to notice? Well, I'm currently the secretary for two island organizations, Artisan Coordinator for the 2007 Ocrafolk Festival, a contributor to the Ocracoke Observer newspaper, and co-editor of the Mullet Wrapper.

A wonderful thing about Ocracoke is that there are plenty of chances for me to exercise my more creative talents (and learn new ones), too. So I'm taking guitar lessons (I'm not very good yet...I'm a slow study!), singing with the worship team in church, and trying to learn to quilt.

This is, of course, in addition to working and reading and blogging and...

I think I'm going to have to say no to the next person who asks me to do something.

No comments: