Saturday, April 7, 2007

Snow, song and stars

Okay, I know you won't believe this. I wouldn't have believed it either, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. For about 2 minutes today, it snowed. Well, it was more like a crazy flurry (the wind was whipping at 20-30 miles an hour, so there was a great deal of swirling effect), but it was definitely snow. On April 7th! We have certainly had some weird weather recently, but that takes the cake.

Tonight was the annual night-before-Easter Ocrafolk Festival fundraiser concert. It was - as it always is - an excellent showcase of much of the amazing talent on this island (mostly musical, but also storytelling). The lucky audience heard new songs, a new story, and several new performers. The show was very much enjoyed by all.

When I went to touch salt water, I discovered one wonderful thing about weather this windy. Most of the clouds had been blown away, so the sky was almost completely clear. It was also quite dark, as the moon is waning. This combination created an absolutely marvelous view of the night sky. With very little light pollution, Ocracoke is always a great place for star gazing, but tonight was even better than usual. The only bad thing is that the wind was still blowing, so it was much too cold to stay out and look at the stars for long!

2 comments:

TomC said...

Saturday was certainly an odd one! We had a bit of snow here in Dallas, TX also!

Ocrakate said...

Wow! Snow that far south in April has to be relatively unheard-of. Glad to know I have a reader in Texas! I lived in Dallas (well, in Garland to be exact) for a year, many moons ago when I was 12.