Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spring? ...and access to information

It is Spring, right? It felt like Spring on Saturday. It was a beautiful, sunny day with temperatures in the high 60s. On Saturday night, a cold wind started blowing. All day yesterday and into this morning, it felt like Winter again. Brrr.

The TV ad with the weather guy just said that he would be telling us about "a warm up" during his forecast on the 11 o'clock news. I'm not sure I'll be awake at 11, though, so I guess I'll check online for the info.

Having immediate access to online resources for shopping and all sorts of information (weather and otherwise) has become an important part of my daily life. I often sit and watch TV with my laptop in my lap. That's usually because I'm blogging, or engaging in some other form of multitasking, but I also frequently find myself looking things up online.
- Wonder what other movie that actress was in recently? Try the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com). Incidentally, even if you're curious about movies that haven't yet been released - like Nights in Rodanthe, which was filmed partially on the Outer Banks and may include some of my friends in it - you can get that kind of info. there too ("Nights" was originally slated for release in June this year, but has now been delayed until October).
- Want to check out the website for that show or get more info. about that commercial you just saw? You can find the show online by searching the official site for the channel it's on, and usually the ads include the URL at the end, although you do have to read quickly to catch them.
- Wonder what else is on TV, because you don't like that show you're watching? That's easy to find on any search engine.
- Want to know just about anything else? Look it up on Wikipedia, my personal favorite, or of course you could always just google it.

It's pretty amazing to me how quickly information is available now, no matter where you are. Even here on a small island 25 miles off the coast, where people used to wait weeks or months for information, the world is at my fingertips.

Hope you have all the info you need, wherever you are...

No comments: