Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I'd rather be laughing...

Sometimes in life you have to do something you are obligated to do, rather than doing what you would enjoy more. Tonight, I was faced with just such a dilemma. I wanted to go to "The Viola Question". Who wouldn't want to go see "Yale University's most attractive improv comedy group"? It sounded like an evening of laughter, which is always a good thing. I was obligated, however, to go to the Civic and Business Association meeting because I am the secretary of that organization.

It actually was a highly informative meeting. One item discussed, which I know some of my regular blog readers will be interested to hear about, was the current status of the Berkeley Manor property. The developer who co-owns the property recently approached first Hyde County and then the National Park Service about moving the two structures (the ranch house and the main manor building) which are currently on the lot. The offer was that the developer would give the structures to the County or to NPS, if they would move the buildings to their own land. Unfortunately, both the County and NPS had to turn the developer down (the NPS decision was made today). I am not sure what the County's reasoning was, but I do know that for NPS it was a lack of available funds, as it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5M to move the buildings. (I suspect the reason was the same for the County, but don't know that for sure.)

Kenny Ballance, the NPS Head Ranger for Ocracoke who attends the Civic and Business Association meetings said that the park may be able to work with the community by providing land on which the buildings could be placed, if the community can raise the funds to move the buildings. So if you know anyone with a spare one or two million dollars who would like to give it to save a couple of lovely historic structures on the island, send them our way please!

I'll keep you posted as I hear more about whether and how this proceeds. In the meantime, here's wishing you opportunities for laughter...which don't conflict with scheduled meetings!

No comments: