Saturday, March 8, 2008

Memories of Muze

I attended the reception held today at the OPS Museum to celebrate the opening of an exhibit about Muzel Bryant, who - at 103 years of age - was Ocracoke's oldest resident until her recent death, just a few weeks shy of her 104th birthday.

Muzel was well loved by everyone who knew her, and many islanders liked to visit her, sometimes bringing gifts of stuffed animals, which she treasured, and always leaving blessed from their time spent with this quiet, dignified lady. In 2004, the community celebrated her 100th birthday with a party at the school which was attended by around 300 people.

The reception today was also well attended, and everyone seemed to really enjoy the displays and photographs. I saw a handful of red eyes, and shed a few tears myself in memory of a lovely lady.


(The picture on the table was taken at Tommy and Kathy's wedding last year, for which Muzel was the matron of honor. Ever her graceful, strong self, she stood through most of the ceremony before allowing other members of the wedding party to help her sit down in her wheelchair.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear Mrs. Kati,

I hope this finds you in better spirits and that you had a moment to step out and enjoy a cool, salty breeze before it became frigid again.

I am desperate to enjoy one myself and was planning to venture to Ocracoke next weekend. This plan derailed a tad. I have recently heard briefly through some grapevine that I might be better off staving off my desperation for one more week as, on the 22nd, there will be a Ocrafolk fundraiser or something of that sort. I was wondering if maybe I could tempt you to divulge a confirmation and some information about that like when, where, and who's playing.

Thank you much!

<3 Jenni