Sunday, March 9, 2008

Photo shoot

I spent just under an hour today with some of my favorite musicians. Gary of Molasses Creek had called to ask me to take some photos of them with Gerald Hampton and Coyote. We met at the Community Square docks to have a recognizable Ocracoke background. They posed for a while, and then played for a while, and I took nearly 150 shots to make sure we would get enough good ones. It was a lot of fun, as I got to experience not only the zany humor and silliness of the group, but also a private mini concert!

During the shoot, several pelicans flew in and landed on the water of Silver Lake behind the musicians. I took several photos of them, too, including this one which is my favorite of all the pictures I took today.



Speaking of Molasses Creek and my other favorite musicians, they will be performing in the annual Spring Ocrafolk Fundraiser concert on Saturday March 22 at 7:30 PM in the Community Center. (So yes, Jenni, Easter weekend would be a good time to visit!)

And now, speaking of the Community Square: if you haven't heard the good news, the Community Store will be reopening soon! Much work has been done over there recently, including new siding and new paint (don't worry, it's still white and green and I'm told that all the signs which were on the side of the store, advertising other Ocracoke businesses in the square like the Schooner Windfall and Austin Boat Trips to Portsmouth, will be replaced as well. It's looking good, and I am looking forward to being able to shop in there again. (And to having a certain momentous event announced on the Community Store chalkboard...)

Finally, speaking of local businesses: if you have heard that John and I are taking over and/or buying a particular one, that is a rumor which is most assuredly not true. I'm not sure where that one got started, but three people have asked me about it in the last 24 hours. Trust me on this one: my life is full enough, and will soon be fuller, so I will not be adding anything as major as running an island shop.

Hope you can come visit the island soon to see the updated Community Store, pelicans on Silver Lake, and a terrific concert!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I shall most definately come then.

Jenni